Monday 25 November 2013

Ships Biscuits - Hard Tack

I must admit, it's been a very long time since I wrote a post (April), just a tiny bit embarrassing. Well, I am going to see if I can get back on track.

It is Tudor day this week and we are allowed to bring some Tudor food. I'm bringing in some Ships biscuits, they are called that because you would eat these biscuits on board a ship. They aren't the nicest things in the world, saying that they don't have sugar in them (this is because sugar was VERY expensive in the Tudor period). By the way, you can find this recipe on many sites, mostly the site 'Cookit' comes up.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb flour
  • 2 oz butter (In the original recipe it was not used, but it makes the biscuits a little softer and easier to eat)
  • 1\2 pint skimmed milk (Water was used in the original recipe, you can use it if you wish)
  • 1\2 tablespoon sea salt

My Review
 The recipe is very simple having only 4 ingredients, it doesn't take very long at all. Once the biscuits were cooked me and my mum tried one, my sister didn't want to (I don't blame her). The biscuits weren't that bad, I mean they were quite salty but that didn't make them taste disgusting. I really don't think many people in my class will like them, probably bite into them expecting something sweet to fill their mouth and then just throw the biscuit in the bin. I don't know how many of them I will come back with, probably quite a few. Never mind, all the more for me!
;D
WARNING: ONLY MAKE IF YOU NEED TO OR HAVE AN URGE TO DO SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment